Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Our Community Garden

Rick Valley inspired me to grow my own flour corn and told me how to do it on mulch in such a way that I could picture getting it done within 3 weeks. He also gave me a little seed.

Anami, up the street, reminded me that I could incorporate beans and squash. Why not? She has come to check my progress and offer Master Gardener worthy advice.

Tim, across the street, said "Sure. You can use my front yard. I hate to mow it anyway."

Dan and Dana lent their pickup for carting leaf mulch, compost, and cardboard.

Jetta, their daughter, helped me test all of the irrigation tape that would water the garden.

The boys and Seda helped me load leaf mulch. Joellen, Jetta's 12-year-old sister, helped them catch crickets when they got bored.

People from all over the neighborhood chatted with me and kept me well-connected while I worked from dawn to dark most of the past week or two.

Jack supplied more seeds and squash plants. He helped shovel leaves and provided irrigation materials and know-how. The cornbread that came out of his oven, baked with local corn, convinced me last autumn to make the effort to source my grains locally.

Sat Hari explored philosophy and spirituality with me from the phone in her own garden, to keep my mind and heart focused on what is real. She asked how I built this garden so she might create one, too.

The children played up and down the street at Evelyn's, Tesha's, the Gormans and the Otas. They ate dinner abroad. I popped in occasionally to supply h'ors doevres or do dishes.

Anne came today and helped me, as I struggled with the blues and a cold, to finish the last pockets of compost and plant rows of corn and beans.

Less and less do I wonder what is mine and what is not, what I do for me and what I do for others. Less and less do I think about what or whether to do, but rather just do what is set before me to do, spending the time in action and intention alone.

The Otas don't mean to push me, but... will I still have time to plant a plot in their back yard? This Sunday, they will be home to help clear the space.

So grows our Community Garden.

1 comment:

Seda said...

This post brings me to tears and a smile. Thank you.