Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We Saw My Mother Off

Yes, "off" she always has been, and "off" we'll always be, thanks to genetics that have graced the lot of us with beauty, resourcefulness, fierce independence, and a world view skewed by one drastically ironic lens. (Yes, she's responsible for the makeshift Halloween costume I'm pictured in below.)

We saw my mother off after a glorious birthday weekend together. Begrudgingly, we dropped her with her friend at the friend's daughters house in an upscale neighborhood where all lawns stood green and clipped to perfection. As I dug for my car keys, Trinidad, already missing his grandma very much, rolled down his window and shouted the finest endearment he could muster: "Don't forget to pick your nose!"

I imagined the neighborhood stiffening as they heard it. My mom laughed. I continued the search for my keys. He rolled down his window again and shouted it louder.

I found the keys and felt compelled to put in my motherly two-bits before pulling away from the curb. Cataloguing all of my most eloquent NVC lingo, maternal care (oh no! Am I caretaking again??) and the self-connection that would serve me best, I rolled down my window in turn. "Don't forget that you're in choice about what to do with the boogers!" I called.

So many peas in a pod.

No comments: