Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Free Food

This week, I threw up my arms and dropped one of my final Control Freak Frontiers: food. I told the kids to have at'em. Eat whatever they wanted, as long as they clean up after themselves.

"I'm having marshmallows!" said Sam.

"Me, too!" said Trin.

"Cool," I said. "When they're gone, they're gone. Hope you like them plain. I'd rather have mine with hot chocolate, but with weather like this, who wants hot chocolate?"

"Right," said Trin. "I'll save mine for tomorrow morning when it's cold."

Hmm. This could be sustainable.

There's certainly a lot more creativity and cooking. Trinidad fried himself two eggs and ate them with the yolks cooked hard (he prefers over medium). I did not realize that I still owned peaches in a can. But they found them. The boys are turning the place upside down to see what's in our addled pantry. I found Sam randomly peering under the sink and into far off cabinets. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"Looking for food!" he said, opening the cold oven door. "Bacon!" he cried. "I'll have bacon!"

"What?! Bacon? In there?" Apparently I had left it in the oven last Sunday and turned it off. A lecture about the possibility of food poisoning ensued. (Seda couldn't resist and snatched it later -- if only she'd heard the lecture?)

Tonight, as Trinidad told me about how clear his head felt in the time he spent at the top of a fig tree, Sam erupted with a post-dinner announcement: "And then we ate all of the Tobasco sauce, mom, and we thought of lots of things."

Well. What do you think of that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

Oh, I'm hysterical--crying with laughing so hard. It's like they were repressed for years and years--tobasco? Dead bacon? Oh my goddddd.....

I'm howling.

Oh, lordy, I miss you and them. I'd like to get to know K as well. He's a character. But your life is filled with characters.

I got to see Seda, but I was in a strange mood and felt like I kind of ran her down, but she fed me fish, bless her. Dr. Coyote's still in a mood, but you know what? I no longer care! Well, I do, but you know. I worry about him, but I can't just keep worrying--the mind resists.

So dead bacon makes sense to me right now... and flying...and Peter Pan...and missing videos...

I get to see Max this weekend--yay! Imagine when you will be chomping at the bit to see your own kids.

Hm, I imagine that that takes some superpowers on your part--PokeMom?

sheesh,
time to get out of here before I choke.

hugs
me