Sunday, December 28, 2008

Taking My Hat

Trinidad traced his fingers lightly over my face in the dark as the three of us snuggled into the King sized bed for our evening's rest. "Did you feel the love I just sent you?" he asked.

"Yes," I said. "Now I'll send you some." I poised my palm about an inch from his forehead and opened myself to channel universal love into the divine being beside me.

"Did you feel it?" I asked after a few minutes.

"Yes!" he said.

"Many wisdom traditions call this spot the Third Eye because you can see things with it that are not necessarily of the world you can see with your other two eyes."

"Really? Like what?" he asked. I began to describe some possibilities.

"Yes, but, have you seen things, too? I'm asking because I've experienced this, and I want to understand it better!"

I told him my experience and he told me his, ending by telling me that it didn't matter to him whether I believed it or not, because he knew it to be true.

I smiled. "You know, our existence takes place on many levels in this lifetime and our body is a vehicle for sundry aspects of our soul in the world. Many wisdom traditions see certain points of our bodies, called chakras, as a place that we are particularly open to give and receive energy." I paused and could feel his body, tense with excitement, beside mine. "Do you have any idea where they could be?"

"The heart," he said quickly.

"Yes, that's a big one. And one that is recognized to a large degree even in our culture -- think of the hearts that people write all over things to represent love. Do you know any others?"

"There are more?"

"Yes, several, actually," I said.

"Wow! Is one here?" He placed his hand on the top of his head.

"Yes."

"And around my eyes?"

I asked him to point. He moved his hand around both eyes and landed just above and between them. "Yes," I said. "I like how you used your hand to feel."

He smiled broadly, then his face eased into the serious expression of inward searching as he slowly ran his hand down the center of the length of the body and identified every other of the several chakras that are familiar to me. I affirmed his discovery. He switched hands and felt each one again. "Are they in your hands, too?" he asked.

"Yes," I said. Trinidad beamed and hugged me hard over and over, telling me how much he loved me. I held him tight to me and smiled. As I released him, I told him that many of my friends knew much more about chakras and energy movement than I did.

"But let us not ever forget how much you know, yourself, when you are open to hearing it, Trinidad. The same is true for all of us. And your energy, little one, is strong like the wind. Like a very big wind. You will spend your life learning to understand and focus it so that it may bring good and healing to the world. It is an honor to see you witness it now."

He grinned at me so I thought his face would crack open, and then he darted a hand out and stole my hat off my head.

"Got your hat!" he said.

No comments: