Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Longing

"....just waitin' for my ship to come in..." I sang to myself quietly, washing the dishes.

"What's that song you wrote about?" asked my eight-year-old son, Trinidad.

"Oh... it's about longing, about wishing you could have something that always seems to be just out of reach. It's about the frustration I feel in not just sitting with gratitude for what I have. There is so much to be thankful for, and much of it I wanted and received, but still there's this longing! It seems to be part of the human condition, a yearning to touch the universal spirit of Love, and we always try to put it in some earthly pursuit, whether a person or a thing. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah," he said. "Everyone longs for something. And you'll never long for something you already have."

He's got it.

No comments: