Monday, June 1, 2009

Supernormal

"Mom, I just loved that movie we watched at E's house. I wish Trinidad could watch it."

"To tell you the truth, Sam, I don't want you watching movies over there anymore. I did not like that movie, based on what you told me. [Coarse language, gratuitous violence, objectification of women....] I can understand that you probably have no idea why--"

"Oh, yes I do, Mom. I know why you don't like me to watch it."

"You do? Why?"

"Because they barely ever use words that I don't know."

"Oh."

Extranormal.

**

"This guy looked over the counter at me today, then he looked again, and when I didn't look up -- I was letting him have a good look without interrupting -- he decided that whatever it was, it was okay," Seda told me.

"You have a lot of power, Seda. Just your presence can be discomfiting."

She frowns.

"If you don't like that, stop blogging. That just puts your presence in writing. You've lived more about gender than most of us can imagine."

"Do you like me being abnormal?"

"Your motto before transition was 'Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable.' You coined it. Careful what you wish for. I love you just the way you are."

Paranormal.

**
"This addition to the house will bring us to a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with functional shop/storage space. I'm afraid, Seda. It's going to look so 'grown up.' Will we be normal?"

"Um, yeah. Two children, a maddy and mother with boyfriend, 26 (2) chickens, rabbits, and sometimes captive snakes and mice. I think we are not in danger."

Unnormal.

**
"Mom, I learned something valuable from all those movies I watched about people catching snakes!"

I'm sitting in the living room as Trinidad enters with a 2-foot long garter snake on a stick.

"This one bites, and see? I can pick him up safely with a stick. Just like in the movies!"

The snake falls to the floor, opens its jaws and hisses.

"What did you learn?" I ask.

"Woops."

**
Does it ever work like you see in the movies? I saw a bumper sticker today. It said, "Don't believe everything you think."

Maybe we're Supernormal.

1 comment:

anne said...

HOLY MOLY!

You've been busy. I won't recognize the house! WAH!!!!

But I did have something real to say about the movie thing. Max told me he had seen Star Trek (the new movie). I was disappointed because I hadn't seen it and wanted to. But Max said not to bother. I asked him if it was awful.

His reply: Mom, it was perfect eye candy, fights, explosions in space, every special effect perfect. But I realized that it was about nothing. I'm now wanting movies with more story to them.

Godzilla boy has grown up. Years and years and years of gratuitous violence, monster wars, women whose only function was to get captured by aliens and scream, death in how many different ways? and more death, special effects until you can't stand any more.

All shed like a cloak as the boy becomes a man and wants a woman he can talk to and a story with meaning to it.

I think this dovetails with your NVC article in that I never felt it was right to interfere with Max's tastes and desires for whatever. I did express my own opinions--all the time! I put up with weird clothes, no baths, weird food habits, Godzilla, Pokemon and god knows how many other fighting games and movies, messes, strange animals, and then Max's personality as a perfectionist space cadet who is definitely abnormal.

No snakes in the house, but that wasn't for lack of trying; but lack of interest in current reptiles that were smaller than people.

It works. Tell the parents that if you give, you get. Of course not right away--but maybe in ten years...

Well, I hope I can help with the chaos tomorrow!

Agh!
hugs
me