Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween, Day and Night

Sam: Could someone stay home and give out candy and you come with us trick-or-treating?
Me: You want Maddy to stay home?
Trin: No! I want Maddy to come -- wait! Actually, Maddy is of the opinion that we should only trick-or-treat up and down half the street, Mom. What is your opinion?

Me: (to Seda) I made Jerusalem Artichokes here, for you to eat. It's quick and easy and healthy for Halloween. I'm really excited because I'd like to plant some for next year. These are a trial. They are completely effortless to grow, they're pretty, and they're a good starch --
Seda: Hmm. (tastes one) So, what's for dinner?
Me: Oh, you are fired as my Permaculture Paragon.
Sam: Trinidad almost poked my eye out with his sword!
Me: Do be careful. That would not have been a Happy Halloween.

Me: Trinidad, please hold still while I'm braiding your hair with these wires [to be Pippi Longstocking]. The sword -- please, Trin, I can't focus while that thing is swinging past my face. Could you put it away?

(Trick or Treating)
Lu: Oh, it's you! And don't you look wonderful? A pirate and...
Trin: Pippi Longstocking.
Lu: Yes! I see it now.
Me: And I'm a Domestic Superhero.
Lu: (laughs) Oh, well that fits. Look, all I have are these (Snickers)... will Mom let you have...?
Me: Lu. We're Trick or Treating.

Me: (walking down a darkened street, boys with candy bags swinging) Sam, your sword almost went up my nose.
Sam: Sorry, Mom!

(Halloween gathering of adults around a lantern as we biked past in costume one block from where we live.)
All: Come back! Don't you want some candy?
Me: Oh sure, we'll circle back.
Middle-aged Drunken Witch: Wow! What are you?
Me: Domestic Superhero. Check it out. If you wear an apron backwards, you can fly.
MDW: Oooohh. You have great legs. You know, I think I'm in love with you.
Me: Hmm.
MDW: (2 inches from my face) No, really, I am falling in love with you right now.
Me: Don't worry. You'll get over it. My husband did.
MDW: Well, here's the thing. (Leaning so close that I stand taller over her as she hisses in stage whisper) I'm a Woman.
Me: Yeah. That was his problem, too.
MDW: (Straightens, looks at me cock-eyed twice. I smile.) Well, his loss.
Man Scantily Clothed in Animal Skins: Have a candy.
Me: Thank you.
MSCAS:I know you from somewhere. Oh, yeah -- your garage sale. I bought a trowel from you.
Me: Is that possible? A trowel? Was it plastic?
MSCAS: No, it was a trowel. For laying cement. Not a girlie trowel.
Me: (peal of laughter, then dead serious) Watch your language, mister.

Sam: I have enough candy! We can go home!



Happy birthday to my dearest Grandma Cele who loved to dress up and go Trick-or-Treating for cocktails. I had one in your honor tonight! My love and gratitude for your presence in my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

(well, Gaelic style) Sky wonders if you're still doing Boogergate (caught for saying the evil word or recording the evil word?) Seda seems to be paralyzed by the electron, but, Girl, sunchokes give you major gas--are you going to add that you your mix there?

Hm, Trin is Pippy Longstocking.... well, I can see it.

But you have to be careful of those middle-aged women--they're total lechers....Send Seda to her--hah!

I forgot it was Hallowe'en actually until we straggled out to get some food and everyone was in costume. Max was over yesterday, he's turning 20 tomorrow--20!!!! Aiiieee. He told me that I didn't look bad for my age. Sigh.

20 years ago I was about 48 hours into a homebirth with contractions every 15 minutes and zip dilation. Max didn't want to be born, I guess. Glad I'm not there!

Max took his 4.5 year old brother out for trick or treat who was a storm trooper. Max said he wanted to visit with everyone and make every other trick or treater his friend. I hope he stays so friendly. Sometimes we live in a good world.

Let's here it for domestic superheroes with good legs!

hah!
I love your blog.
anne

Kristin Krebs Collier said...

Geez, you aren't kidding about the sun chokes! I had no idea, and your comment confirms my suspicions.

I dispatched with the broom in favor of alternative motorization that night.

Happy Birthing Day to YOU tomorrow! An' I love the way you look all the way around. :)

Love your writing, too!

Anonymous said...

Hey K-girl,

Thanks for the love and loveliness (blush).

Sunchokes and most else in the sunflower family have inulin as the starch, which is indigestible. They tout this for diabetics because it doesn't mess with their blood sugar, but neither does cardboard!

I'm not with the FM school (gas is good) because I don't like the boated cramping that goes with it. Supposedly the inulin breaks down with cooking, but I'm not so sure about that. Yacon is supposed to be much less gassy, but is about like potatoes (no frost annual.) The permaculture people are keen on salsify and scornozera, both of which have leaves to eat but are also full of inulin. I have not heard about how gassy they are.

I think the way to go with root crops that are permanent is with roots of the mint family like marshwort (there is a local wild variety) or Stachys affinis which is extremely popular in Europe but hard to find here. (One source in souther OR) Easier to find are many root crops in the celery family which range from carroty to parsnip-like to very anise/sweet, a very wide variety of tastes and textures. The permaculture people swear by an old crop called skirret, which looks nasty to prepare.

But, my all time favorite perennial root is campanula, which can spread like violets or mints and tastes anywhere from radish like like that dried balloon flower that I gave to you to try and you didn't care for, or sweeter and crunchier in the normal campanulas. They have leafy greens which are quite good almost all winter and beautiful lavender flowers.

Lots of alternatives.

But, if you want to lose weight and have an indigestible experience on top of that and sit around the table with tooting contests, well, you might enjoy sunchokes! HAH!

hugs--BTW, I'm at the coughing stage, so we should try to do something this week.

hugs again,
me