Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter 2010

"Mom! We just got this great idea," Trinidad told me excitedly. "Sam and I are going to make you Easter baskets!"

It was after 10:00 at night on Friday. I smiled and suggested they make a list of what they wanted to do for that the next day. 

"But, there's a problem," Trin told me. "I don't know what to give you. If it was for me, I'd want a soccer ball, some crossword puzzles... but for you? I have no idea. What would you like?"

Delighted by his awareness of my individuality, I thought about it a bit. "I always love what you make me," I said.

He and Sam talked it over. "We'd like to give you something we cook. What do you want -- cookies, pie, cake, what?"

"Well..." I hesitated. I had decided to forego our traditional sweet bread to meet other needs the next day.  "There is something that I would really like, but I don't know if you could actually make it -- that's Easter bread."

"Do you have a recipe?" he asked.

"Yes, but you've never made bread before, and Easter bread is not easy for beginners."

"Oh, no problem," he said, with the confidence of his nine years. "We'll do it!"

The next day, I got a call on my cell phone. "How do you heat the oven to 125 degrees? I can see 175 and 200, but not 125."

"Are you heating the milk?" I asked. He was -- in the oven. He couldn't remember what part of the recipe went into the ceramic bowl, so he asked if he could wait for me to come home to interpret. I was only 20 minutes away.

I explained further where necessary and Trinidad did it all (except the measuring, which Sam took charge of -- that little ring of spoons jingled so attractively). Trin measured, mixed, kneaded, shaped and baked the loaves. The last steps he did without my support. Wow! I was so impressed.

Late Saturday night, Ben told Sam he'd better go to bed so that the Easter Bunny could come down the chimney.

"The Easter bunny will not come down the chimney. She is sitting on the toilet [referring to me]."

We laughed. "I know this because I am old enough to know this," he said proudly. 

"Mom? Will you please make us Easter baskets even when we are teenagers? If we make them for you, too?" Trinidad asked. "Because most kids stop getting them after they're ten."

"You know it, dude," I told him.

Have yourself... a very merry Easter.:)

2 comments:

anne said...

Happy Easter to you, too.

But did you have a Sader?

My mom did Easter way into our teens, she just like the plastic grass and she had antique ceramic bunnies. Now she can't put out flowers anymore because her cats eat them and try to drink the water and knock them off the table. But she also did St. Patty's and May Day.

Was the bread good? yummy! Max's family got a bunny, their cat is not too happy since the bunny is twice as big as the cat!

bunny hugs,
me

Seda said...

The bread was good. And the kids are, too. So good. My cup overflows.