Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Long NVC'ish Dialogue -- Get Yo'self A Cuppa Tea...

We bit into a fabulous dilemma today. A family friend expressed to the boys that he feels annoyed when he hears their voices dive into a whine pitch (they both understood from the example what he spoke to), and he asked if they would be willing to express themselves in a different tone of voice.

Sam said he understood what he was being asked to do and was willing. Trinidad bowed his head in silence, and then slowly melted until his head nearly touched the floor, lower lip hanging. I went to check in, quietly, but he avoided me and asked for some space in his room. In my history of parenting this child, I have not yet seen him respond like this.

Trinidad refused empathy, and returned quietly to the room when he was ready for a group story. After the story, he and our friend reconnected in wild physical play, but I knew that the work had only begun. After awhile, I translated our friend's request into feelings and needs (unsure whether he had; I'd been out of the room in the middle of the discussion), and then Trin told me that he had felt sad to hear what K-- had to say.

"Why is that?" I asked.

"Because I don't know how to speak any other way when I am sad or angry," he said. "That's just me, and I don't want to change who I am. I would rather have no friends than do that."

I saw how much this meant to him. "You really want to be authentic when you express yourself -- is that right?"

"Yeah. And it's just me. I like K-- , but I just want to be me, too."

We talked about meeting some needs -- authenticity, self-connection -- while watching others not be met -- connection, fun, contribution. He felt so sad, hopeless even, to imagine so many needs unmet. I breathed into it, holding the space for mourning.

Two hours later, walking in the sun, I reframed it. "So. I hear that K-- has needs for choice and connection up and you would like to be authentic about how you express yourself. That is a dilemma. Hmmm. Somehow it sounds less dismal when I just focus on the needs. Does it seem that way to you?"

"Yeah!" he said.

"So, our job is to find a strategy that holds everyone's needs."

"I don't think we can," he said, after a moment. Tears welled in his eyes.

"Mmmm. When you think that, I bet you feel sad," I said. I opened my heart to hold the space.

"Yeah. I don't want K-- to be annoyed, and I want to just be me."

"Mmm. So, I wonder if there are any other ways to meet your needs for authenticity besides whining."

"I don't think so," he said.

"Oh! I have an idea. What if you expressed yourself by saying how you feel and what needs are up for you? Would that be doable?"

"Yeah, but I'd probably still whine."

"You might, but you'd be taking responsibility for how you feel, and I'm guessing that that would be a big contribution to K--. When you whine, he's often hearing what you are asking for as a demand, so here's another idea: you could let him know that what you are asking for is a request and not a demand. Do you know the difference?"

"Well, kind of."

"It's like this," I told them. "If I ask you to set the table and you tell me 'no,' and I say, 'Well, I want you to set it anyway. Because I said so,' then that would be a demand."

"Hey!" said Trinidad. "A lot of other mothers tell their kids to do something, and when their kids ask 'why?' they say 'Because I said so.' I think they say it because they don't really know why either."

"Have you ever heard me say 'Because I said so' to you?" I asked, prepared for the worst. :)

"No, you haven't."

"You know why? Because I heard it so much from my parents when I was young (and I didn't like it), that I vowed to never say that to you. I make no guarantees about the future, but I want to celebrate right now that you don't remember me saying it in your eight years. Hurray." We smiled at each other. "And I think you're right: the parent who says that probably does not want to take the time or energy to check in with what needs are behind it. They might be tired and just wanting ease and to get the job done."

"Yeah, that's what I think, too."

"Anyway," I said, "if I hear your 'no' and then decide to share my needs that would be met by you doing it and make the request again [I gave example], then you might shift and agree to. Or, I might decide to do it myself."

"Or eat without forks that night," offered Trinidad, in the spirit of limitless possibility.

"Yup. The point is, I could work with your 'no' and find other ways to hold both our needs. Do you think you could make it clear to K-- that you are making a request, not a demand?"

"Yeah, I think I could," said Trinidad.

"You know, even if you whine to do it, I'm guessing that would really meet his needs for autonomy, because he would know he was in choice about it, and that's the big problem."

"Yeah!" said Trinidad.

The kids shifted their attention to walking on the edge of curbs and after about ten minutes, I offered this: "You know, an interesting thing might happen if you own your own feelings and needs when you're upset. You might well speak it in some other tone of voice than a whine." I paused and noticed Trinidad watching me intently. "Because," I went on, "a whine is that tone of voice we often use when we think we are helpless -- that our happiness depends on someone else."

"You're right!" said Trinidad. "How did you know that?"

I laughed. "Because I've given it some thought. So, just the act of owning your own feelings and needs will probably make it easier to make a true request, easier for that request to connect and for everyone to feel in their power, even if they are disappointed with the answer to that request."

"Yeah!" said Trinidad, beaming.

"So, I have an idea. And this would really meet my needs for teamwork and mutuality in our family, too. Would you guys be willing to practice expressing your feelings and needs at various times throughout the day when we are not upset, just for practice?"

"Sure," they both said, and we did it right then. Both were remarkably eloquent in their expressions, despite the fact that they have often claimed to be clueless as to what feelings and needs were in the past (what is it about the cobbler's children being ill-shod?). Apparently, this conflict offered them new motivation. I expressed my own needs met!

We have checked in on feelings and needs twice more this afternoon. (Interesting aside: When Sam expressed that he was happy with a need for peace met, he insisted on whispering it in my ear, afraid that saying it aloud could jinx his luck with volatile big brother...) And, as I've been typing this, another conflict brewed between Seda and Trin. The latter came in and expressed himself, taking full responsibility for his feelings and needs and his part in a misunderstanding. His voice could be described as a whine, erupting in tears midway, and making space for a good sob before asking for my response. I found that we were both more creative than usual in solving the problem, and both of our needs were met, Seda releasing her issue with it in confusion over our solution.

I am sitting now in gratitude for dilemma, the opportunity to crack open perceived barriers so that limitless possibility can be seen by both sides. In gratitude for growth and shared learning, shared reality, and the unconditional love that keeps us trying for a winning solution.

For patience, for care, and for the courage to say 'no.'

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Ahhh. Thank you for your post, Kristin. I feel inspired to look at conflict with less negative judgment and hopelessness. I really relate to Trinidad's dilemma . . . wanting to meet someone else's needs without sacrificing my own integrity. I think I have my own version of whining, and sometimes I struggle to see alternatives, too. I'm feeling a lot of tenderness for Trinidad and for myself right now.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

Yeah, wonderful post. And bully for Trinidad, sticking to his guns. How often we see kids (and adults) try to please others to keep the peace (like Sam) and end up going too far.

But it's definitely a struggle back and forth. But it brings up all kinds of questions of identity and authenticity. Is whining part of Trin or is it a branch that can be pruned and leave the basic Trin behind? How much of the tree can go before it's not the same tree or it ceases to fruit? If it is not trimmed does it choke on its own weight and not bear anything but bitter fruit?

To be there, moment to moment, working with this seems to be the answer. I do believe that Trin and Sam and maybe everyone else as well benefits from the interaction as it happens. Where bitterness sets in is when Trin shuts down. No matter how it is resolved I think your attempts to not be "because I said so" makes the struggle genuine and I think that is the nourishment we need, not an end to struggle or a quick compromise that satisfies no one.

It's interesting to me how our experience and knowledge colors our thoughts. I see Trin and I see his Enneagram type which seems (to me) to be 1 with a 2 wing. This type of person falls into anger which starts out self-righteous and then gets more and more petulant and self-hating (for not being perfect) and ultimately leads to shut down and extreme envy for having failed to live by ones own rules and wanting to know why everyone else can break the rules and get away with it. The type also fears not being able to get enough of what it is being offered. They feel that if everyone would just follow the rules then everyone would have some. The fury comes when someone breaks non-verbal agreements or when one feels that there is an unwritten law and everyone else is violating that. The feelings of violation and betrayal take over and manifest in rage.

But, conversely, the type ends up as the most tolerant, wise and understanding type on the wheel. Wisdom ultimately does not come out of rules but of being master of one's own fate, so to speak. One learns to see that others are caught and learns that there are as many ways out as there are people.

If Trinidad fears, it is a fear of not being good enough to be admired, of being shut out from all that is good and warm and left out in the cold, despised and hated for something inside of him. He will look at himself with a magnifying glass and others with the same, searching for the way that he can always be respected, admired and loved. He will fall, not to ego or id issues, but to the superego voice inside of him whipping him into a frenzy of trying to do the right thing for the right reason at the right time. And when it is not right, he'll stomp his foot and cry out "you broke the rules!" Anger can be fury, but it is also petulant, depending on how much power the angry person feels that they have.

I look at Trin and I think to myself that he is a storm, but a storm has a center of calm. He needs access to that center, to always come back into himself when he feels the storms of rage tear at him. He needs his roots, deep, deep roots that are not feeding on poison but on the marrow of the world.

I think his conflict with the three of you (Seda, you, Sam) are that he thinks that society should provide a guide or a map of how to act that everyone can follow. You all I think are in a corner where there are no universals but that every person is an opportunity to engage in a society of two and there are no rules, but a protocol that is built up in trust between the two.

Trin wants to impose order from a higher source of wisdom, you all might want to enjoy peace in love and trusting one another despite what may happen during the day. So Trinidad feels cut adrift without any guidelines or maps, feeling around in the dark where he might not be powerful enough to see the right way to go.

Trinidad may struggle all his life with a puzzle that is stated: "the map is not the territory."

I think he is trying to cover breadth when he needs roots. But that will come with time. He feels helpless and small and wants to grasp at some kind of map to cover the territory that is vast, the territory of his internal storm. He is a powerful person, like Max, very intense and very in his head.

But, that is a little of what I see. The white lightning that is Trin. He's frightening, but also exciting in his passion.

Well, I'm going on again. Things here are so crazy and I'm feeling like I'm in a strange land with no guides either. I find it so easy to trust people, individuals, but so hard to remember the roots and suffer the storm as if it is nothing more than gentle rain.

I love what you are doing with Trin (and Sam) because I see you growing by leaps and bounds with it as well. Our opportunity as moms is to grow as fast as our children.

And what fruit do you bear upon your own pruned limbs?

love and hugs,
me

Kristin Krebs Collier said...

Thanks, Jessie. I appreciate the clarity of knowing how this landed for a reader or two, and my heart is touched in the tenderness.

Anne, I love the image of the tree being pruned -- an orchard of us hoping to bear fruit. Sweet and earthy. Thanks.