Friday, July 11, 2008

"I did not say what I said...

...because I want you to do something different," she told me. "I did not say it because I want to change you. I don't."

She sat on a sofa across from me in a dimly lit room. I looked up at her from where I knelt on the floor at her feet.

"I said what I said because I worry about you. You think so much. You put so much out," she said, and I could feel her caring. I could.

"You must be exhausted," she said. "You must be so tired." I leaned forward, laid my head on my mother's shoulder, and we cried.

Thomas Wolfe said you can't go home again. So be it. I like this place better.

P.S. Check out photos this page from the lavender trip south. Thanks to Seda for putting them on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Girlie--

Man! You look like your mom! Yeah, I know, I get it, too. I have my mom's coloring, but my dad's features.

And the picture of your sister and the lavender makes her look French. Too much fun!

Trinidad will go down in Collier history for being the most ornery and the most interesting kid we ever did meet. :) I think he was a spider in his last life, maybe a cockroach. At 10, Max gave me a homemade card with a big roach on it saying that I liked him even though he always bugged me. Sky says I've forgotten how obnoxious he used to be. Ah, sweet memory, editing out the swing pushing incidents. By the time Trin is 19, he'll be your knight in shining armor, having never done any wrong. HAH! (Maybe that's Sam's role.)

I'm still in the work cave, but I'm glad I crawled out for these pictures. Thanks, Seda!

love and hugs
a